We regularly post polls on LinkedIn on topics of data management and data lineage to collect insights on the experiences and thoughts of our colleagues. We would like to share these insights with you as well.
1. 36 % of respondents replied that they use one of the industry models.
2. In 43% of cases, respondents indicated that they adjust industry models for their needs.
3. 21 % of respondents indicated that they don’t use any maturity model.
4. No one develops their own models.
We interpret these results as the following:
- The key requirement for a data management maturity model is that the metadata model of a maturity model corresponds with the metamodel of data management. Very often it is not the case.
I have rarely seen companies that used one of the industry models to implement data management without any changes. Usually, companies create their own methodologies. In one of the previous polls, 70% of respondents indicated that they create their own methodology. Only 20% of respondents used industry guides.
- Not many companies that have already implemented data management, perform maturity assessments. It is pity, as a maturity assessment can assist companies to get a clear picture of their strengths and weaknesses and help create an action plan to improve the situation.
How do you interpret these results? Please share in the comments section below this post!