1. 57 % of respondents declared that the data management function belongs to Information Technology.
2. In 10% of cases, respondents indicated Finance to be the parent function.
3. 33% of respondents indicated that Data Management is either an independent function (19%) or belongs to some other functions.
We interpret these results as the following:
- Data management as a part of the IT function.
This is a classic approach established in the Data Management Body of Knowledge (DAMA-DMBOK) by DAMA International. The results demonstrate that lots of companies follow the DAMA-DMBOK recommendations.
- Data management as a part of the Finance function.
Finance is one of the key data stakeholders and would be hit the hardest if something goes wrong with data.
- Data management as an independent function.
I always give this advice to companies: the data management function should coordinate the efforts of all data stakeholders across the company. IT and Finance are also data stakeholders.
How do you interpret these results? Please share in the comments section below this post!