The investigation of the usage of frameworks of data management has demonstrated the following results.
1. 70% of respondents put the effort into designing their own methodologies, of which 30% use existing guides as a source and 40% start from scratch.
2. 30% of respondents use already existing methodologies, 20% of which apply industry guides and 10% rely on guides for consultants.
We interpret these results as the following:
These results seem rather sad. They confirm what I often see in practice:
- There are several leading industry guides. They provide a lot of theoretical knowledge but they lack guidelines for practical implementation.
- A lot of companies put a lot of time and resources into developing their own methodologies to implement data management. But these methodologies do not always lead to success in the implementation.
- Implementation of data management remains a big challenge for many companies.
10 years ago, to set up a data management function, I developed my own methodology based on the DAMA-DMBOK Wheel. Years later, I used this experience to develop the “Orange” Model of Data Management Implementation and present this step-by-step practical approach in The Data Management Toolkit.