1. 9% of those who viewed the poll provided an answer.
2. Almost half (44%) of respondents explore descriptive data lineage.
3. Only 6% of respondents implemented automated data lineage only.
4. The rest use the combination of methods.
We interpret these results as the following:
1. Still, a lot of companies document data lineage manually at a high level of abstraction such as the level of application or conceptual/logical level of a data model.
Descriptive documentation is a highly time- and resource-consuming exercise. A descriptive lineage is also difficult to maintain.
2. On its own, automated data lineage at a physical level is not widely used. Automated data lineage requires a lot of investments and resource at the implementation phase. Maintenance is not an issue as it happens automatically.
3. Many companies use a combined approach.
How do you interpret these results? Please share in the comments section below this post!