Length: 6 hours
For whom: Data management executives and leaders, including chief data officers and department
heads; data stewards; data management and IT professionals.
- Short lectures
- Group exercises
- Business case: a participant’s company or a made-up company
- 30-minute individual coaching session with Dr. Irina Steenbeek
Many companies have started data-related initiatives like Data Governance and Stewardship.
Implementation of these concepts has several challenges: unclear goals and scope, lack of top
management and business support, defining a proper data governance framework, and
implementation approach that fits a company’s needs and resources.
The exclusive feature of this masterclass is that we will consider the implementation of data
governance for various architectures and deployment options:
- Centralized (data warehouse, data lake, and data lake house)
- Distributed (data mesh)
- Data fabric
During the Masterclass, we will dive into the following questions:
- What are the definitions and content of data governance (DG) and stewardship?
o A definition of data governance and its relationship with data management
o The definition of data stewardship and types of data stewards
o A data governance framework and operating system
- Why does a company need a data governance framework and stewardship?
o Business drivers and data management initiatives that require a data governance
o C-Suite members and businesspeople involvement and support
o Key benefits and common obstacles of implementing data governance
- How can a company implement a data governance framework and stewardship?
o Key factors that influence the DG framework design
o Differences in DG frameworks for various data architectures
o Key data management capabilities that require a DG framework
o DG and data stewardship principles
o DG deliverables
o DG regulations, including data governance and stewardship policies
o RACI for data stewardship roles for various data management capabilities/processes
o Requirements for DG tools
o Different approaches to implementing a data governance framework
o Developing a Roadmap
After completing this Masterclass, you will be able to:
- Identify a company’s and key stakeholder needs in data governance
- Design a data governance framework that fits a company’s needs, resources, and data
- Write and implement “Data Governance” and/or “Data Stewardship” policies and standards
- Develop a structure and RACI for data stewardship roles, including different types of data stewards, owners, users, etc.
- Map data management processes to data stewardship roles
- Identify required data governance deliverables
- Formulate requirements for data governance tools